The DPS in Hong Kong has the following main features:
- all licensed banks, unless otherwise exempted by the Board, are required to participate in the DPS as Scheme members;
- restricted licence banks and deposit-taking companies are not members of the DPS;
- the compensation limit is set at HK$500,000 per depositor per Scheme member;
- secured deposits are protected;
- Hong Kong dollar, Renminbi and foreign currency deposits are protected;
- a DPS Fund with a target fund size of 0.25% of the total amount of relevant deposits will be built up through the collection of contributions from Scheme members; and
- differential contributions will be assessed based on the supervisory ratings of individual Scheme members.